Mushipan 蒸しパン

 
Mushipan (蒸しパン)  means steamed bread in Japanese. I adapted this recipe from Bits of Taste. Personally think it tastes more cake-like rather than bread-like. I made them in Aug and my guinea pig, erm...I mean my hub commented as-a-matter-of-factly that 'its wan ko kueh what!' *duh* and he proceed to dunk them in his 3-in-1 coffee *roll eyes* and after which he added that it actually goes well with his coffee -.-

For info, Wan Ko Kueh 碗糕粿 is chinese steamed rice flour cake usually and best eaten with orange sugar 红糖. I had my reservation sharing this recipe coz many people would expect the texture of this Japanese steamed cake to be light, soft and fluffy. Thus, in view of this, I may end up with a lot of why-the-cakes-I- made-were-not-soft-and-light-and-fluffy-at-all-?-Not-anything-like-those-in-bakeries-at-all-? queries so I put it on hold. I'm posting now coz I have requests to share the recipe. Go ahead and try. I cant promise that it would be the taste that you will like or would expect but it's confirmed edible and 'not bad' :P in my opinion. I mean if you like wan ko kueh as well.

This recipe makes 4.

Preparation 10 min

Cook 15 min
 
Ingredients:
- 100g cake flour
- 40g castor sugar
- 60ml milk (I used strawberry flavoured milk)
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tbs vegetable oil

1) Sift and combine the flour and baking powder in a bowl.

2) Whisk the egg in another bowl and add in the sugar. Continue to whisk until combined.

3) Add in milk and mix well.

4) Fold in the sifted flour and baking powder until the batter is well blended.

5) Add in oil and mix well.

6. Scoop batter into muffin tin lined with paper case. Fill each case 3/4 full.

7. Bring the water in the wok/pan to boil and lower the muffin tin. Cover and steam at medium heat for about 15 minutes or until the skewer comes out clean.

8) Remove from wok/pan, let cool slightly. Best serve warm (in my opinion).

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment